- Our Annual Food Drive has begun! Making a donation to iLearn Schools’ Annual FEAST OF GIVING helps to provide nourishing food to children and families this holiday season. The Food Drive is set to kick off on MONDAY, October 24th, and end on Monday, November 14th. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we ask our families to donate money or non-perishable food items to help those in need. Here is how it works!
Raising Money/Gathering Food #1: GOFUNDME link to contribute monetarily to the fundraiser.
Raising Money/Gathering Food #2: Students may donate $1.00 or donate two (2) non-expired, non-perishable food items to receive ONE dress down day OR students may donate a FULL bag of non-perishable food items (a brown paper bag/plastic bag – minimum of six (6) non-expired, non-perishable food items) and receive dress down for ALL FOUR DAYS. The designated dress down days are November 1st – 4th.
- Save the date: Monday, November 21st - Our Annual BASCS Thanksgiving Celebration Dinner will be held from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. (Doors will open at 5:30 p.m.) All families are encouraged to bring a side dish or dessert to share! Details for the location of the event will be provided in the upcoming week.
- DiWali Celebration On Friday, October 28th at 1:20 P.M., we will be having an assembly to celebrate the DiWali holiday and we would love to have you join us for the celebration. If you would like to bring traditional Indian food, or you have a child who would be interested in performing a traditional Indian dance during the assembly, please contact Mrs. Shah in the main office at (862) 247-8510.
- Change in Inclement Weather Dismissal Procedure - After parent feedback on last week's alternate dismissal, we have changed the dismissal procedure for inclement weather days at Bergen Elementary. All parents will enter through the front doors on Madonna Place and you will now be picking up your child at the door outside of your child's classroom. However, please note that this is not a time for parent conferences. As you know, the safety of the children is always our first concern. Therefore, we are certain this will allow for a smooth dismissal on inclement weather days. As always, we appreciate your continued support.
- Standing Orders and Health Policies - The health and safety of every student is very important to us. Our staff takes care to support and maintain the health and well-being of all our students. For your child’s full recovery and the health of their classmates, please observe the following guidelines before they return to school:
Student with fever of 100 F or more should stay home
Student should remain home until fever has been gone 24 hours (without the use of “Tylenol”/”Motrin” type drugs to keep fever down).
Student must remain home for 24 hours after episodes of vomiting or persistent diarrhea.
It is not necessary to miss school from a common cold, however, if your child’s appetite and activity level are below normal due to excessive running nose and/or persistent coughing, they should stay home
Please feel free to contact Nurse Lindy if you have any questions or concerns with your child’s healthy return to school.
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Fundraiser – The theatre department is holding a Krispy Kreme Doughnut fundraiser and all cast and crew members are underway in their fundraising. All profits will directly support the theatre program for set and costume costs. All orders placed must be CASH ONLY and submitted no later than Monday, October 31st. You can place an order by submitting your order form in an envelope with the following on the outside of the envelope: your child’s name, section and Krispy Kreme Fundraiser. Order information is as follows:
Fresh Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnut for a price of $8.00 per dozen.
Fresh Krispy Kreme Special variety 1/2 dozen for a price of $6.00 per dozen. These are available -in chocolate iced, lemon filled, raspberry filled and Kreme filled.
You cannot mix and match within a 1/2 dozen. One variety per 1/2 dozen only.
You can also order Krispy Kreme coffee! 12 oz. bag of Krispy Kreme Signature Coffee for a price of $10.00 per bag. This is available in house blend, dark roast, and decaf.
If you have any questions, please email the play Director, Mrs. Serafin or the Assistant Director, Ms. Killea, with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Please support the theatre program and order your delicious Krispy Kreme doughnuts or coffee today!
- Socktober Fundraiser – For the month of October, we will have a box in the main lobby to collect new and unused socks, as well as other items, to help support local shelters in need. Please see the attached flyer for more details on this wonderful fundraiser and a list of items that you can donate to help support this great cause. Your donations are greatly appreciated!
- Monday, October 31st – BASCS Elementary Halloween parade at 9:00 a.m. Students will walk around the school and show off their costumes. Students may wear costumes for the day, with the following rules:
Due to recent reports in the news and social media regarding clown threats, students will be prohibited from wearing clown costumes to school for the Halloween parade.
Carrying or displaying weapons or weapon replicas of any sort (i.e. swords, guns) is not
Costumes must be school-appropriate and in good taste: no tight, revealing, bare-midriff, spaghetti straps, or short skirts allowed. Leggings and/or undershirts must be worn underneath such costumes. Violent, bloody, or gory costumes are not allowed.
For safety reasons, students who take the bus must bring their costume to school in a bag and change into it once they arrive to school if the costume is long and poses a tripping hazard, and they must change out of the costume before taking the bus home. No masks covering the face may be worn on the bus.
- PTO News:Friday, October 28th – Movie Night and Haunted Hallway at 6:00 P.M. at the BASCS Middle School.
- November Clubs The November Club forms were distributed to students this morning. For the month of November, there will be NO Friday clubs. All forms and payments will be due on Thursday, October 27th. No late forms will be accepted. An additional club form is attached to the bottom of this email. For all club questions, please contact Mr. Moody firstname.lastname@example.org
- Halloween & Fall Activities Monday October 31st at 1:30pm.
A permission slip was sent home earlier this week with the students. All permission slips are due October 27th and no late permission slips will be accepted. If a permission slip is not returned, your student will participate in the alternate fall activities. An additional copy of the permission slip is attached below.
As per Leo McGuire and the Garfield PD, students are NOT to dress as clowns. Any student coming in a clown costume, will be asked to change into their school uniform.
All parents are welcome to join at the costume contest beginning at 1:30pm. The PTO will award prizes to our students with the best costumes. Students will go back to their homerooms for a Halloween party after the costume contest is over.
- PTO Haunted Hallway & Movie Night October 28th at 6pm.
- Wednesday, October 26 Parcc Practice Test Day 2 (Modified Schedule will be followed).
4:00pm Volleyball: Girls Varsity & JV Game vs. North Star Academy @ Bergen Arts and Science Charter High School
- Thursday, October 27 Stony Brook University Visit at 9am
4:00pm Volleyball: Girls Varsity & JV Game vs. Leonia @ Bergen Arts and Science Charter High School
7:00pm Soccer: Boys Varsity Game (Time Changed) vs. Leonia @ Johnson Park - Hackensack
- Friday, October 28 Stony Brook University Visit at 9am
4:00pm Soccer: Girls Varsity Game vs. Saddle River Day @ Johnson Park - Hackensack