- January 23rd through January 27th – The last full week of January has been designated as National School Choice Week. During this week, our school will be participating in one activity per day to join in the celebration of school choice and effective education options for every child. Some of the events during this week to celebrate are a school door spirit contest, school spirit bookmarks, and student letters to a friend on how they make attending BASCS a great place to go to school. Students can also create their very own school spirit t-shirt and dress down on Thursday, January 26th with their shirt. The shirt must represent our school and what it means to be part of BASCS-Elementary. Only students wearing their school spirit shirt may dress down on this day. In addition, students will put their dancin’ shoes on as they perform the 2017 National School Choice Week dance in our school gymnasium! Everyone is excited as we get ready to celebrate this important event.
- Friday, January 27th – The deadline to register for clubs for February is next Friday. If we do not receive a club form with payment by the registration deadline, we will assume that you are not registering your child for February. Club forms will be sent home on Monday and a copy is attached as well for your convenience. Please note that no late forms will be accepted.
Club Application Form K-1
Club ApplicationForm 2-3
- Friday, January 27th – Early dismissal at 1:20 due to a Staff Professional Development. All aftercare and tutoring are cancelled.
- Tuesday, February 7th – Please join us for our Second Marking Period Awards Assembly. The assembly will take place in our gymnasium. The assembly times for each grade are as follows:
Kindergarten - 9:00 A.M.
First Grade - 9:30 A.M.
Second Grade - 10:00 A.M.
Third Grade - 10:30 A.M.
- PTO News Don’t forget to purchase a BASCS PTO gift card for one of your favorite stores! You can help the PTO at no extra cost to you! Read the attached flyer to find out how.
- National School Choice Week: January 23rd to 27th
Homeroom Door Decorating Contest: Students will work as a homeroom to decorate their classroom door in a school spirit theme. The winning homeroom will receive an ice cream party or pizza party!
Dress Down Days – FREE!! - Thursday – Color Wars – Each grade has been assigned a different color. We want to see which grade has the most school spirit.
8th Grade – Red
7th Grade – Green
6th Grade – Yellow
5th Grade – Orange
4th Grade – Pink
Friday – Super Hero vs Super Villain – Come to school dressed as your favorite super hero or super villain from any comic book, novel, movie, etc. This is not limited to just comic books, students can dress as Disney characters, movie characters, Harry Potter characters, etc.
“I love my school because…” – Using a template, students will write their favorite thing about going to BASCS. Students will have their photos taken and posted around the school and on our social media sites.
Teacher awards – during lunch, students will vote for their teacher in various superlative categories. The winning teachers will be announced at the awards assembly in February.
- January 27th - Half Day - 1:10pm Dismissal - All after school clubs and activities are canceled.
- iQuest Challenge - The iQuest challenge is aimed at allowing students in grades 3-11 the opportunity to gain more practice around PARCC-like questions. This extra practice will ensure students are well- versed on the types of questions they will be asked on the actual PARCC exam this Spring in English Language Arts and Mathematics. The PARCC assessment will measure student mastery of the Common Core State Standards in comparison to their peers across the nation.
Students can access these questions on https://test.linkit.com/testtaker/testtaker.html and enter the code provided by their teachers (all codes can be found on Schoology). As a school, we are challenging our students to answer 100 questions in the next 2 weeks. For more information or further questions, please contact Mrs. Stevens (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Teacher of the Year - iLearn Schools is proud to announce its annual Teacher of the Year Program. The iLearn Teacher of the Year Program will honor excellence in classroom education and provide a forum to showcase many outstanding educators whose efforts and example have inspired their students, their colleagues, and the communities they serve. iLearn Schools Teacher of the Year is the highest honor that iLearn Schools can bestow upon a teacher. This program will annually recognize and reward teachers who have demonstrated outstanding leadership and excellence in teaching.
If you would like to nominate a Bergen Middle staff member, you can follow the directions at the following website: http://ilearnschools.org/teacher-of-the-year/
- PTO News - Shop with Scrip - please see attached flyer for more details.
Valentine’s Day Dance – February 10th for 6th – 8th graders only! – More information and a flyer will be sent home to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade parents.
Next Meeting – February 9th at 6:30pm in the Bergen Middle Gym