It is hard to believe that the first marking period is over on Friday. Parent teacher conferences have started and will continue through this date. If you have not done so yet, I encourage you to schedule a meeting with your child’s teacher. Parent-teacher conferences are an opportunity to establish strong, clear communication between parents and teachers. This is an opportunity for both the parent and teacher to gain a mutual understanding around a child’s learning style. These open communications are beneficial in helping our students achieve their full potential.
Thank you to all the parents and students who attended our first ever- Family Math Night on the 24th. The evening was filled with fun, math-themed activities and prizes for the students. You can continue to foster this love of Math at home. Below I have provided some fun ways to practice math everyday with your children.
- Look for shapes & patterns in real life
- Have your child measure ingredients for a recipe you are making.
- Have your child explain the math skills they are using in school.
- When helping your child with his/her homework, ask them to explain HOW they got their answer.
- Play card and board games that require counting and patterns (UNO)
- Ask you child to help count change at the grocery store or help you estimate how much everything will cost.
- Have them compare things they see. What is longest, shortest, smallest, biggest, heaviest, lightest, etc.
- Have items like a ruler, calculator, and measuring tape available to use and practice with at home.
- Encourage your child to track or graph the scores of their favorite sports team.
After school tutoring started in October. If you received a letter inviting your child to attend, we strongly encourage you take advantage of this additional support. Please make every effort to ensure your child attends regularly.
As Thanksgiving approaches we emphasis the joy of family gatherings and are thankful for our family, friends and school community. Please join us for our annual Thanksgiving Dinner on Monday, November 20th. Doors open at 5:30 pm and dinner is served from 6:00-8:00 PM. This annual traditional is a great opportunity for all our Bergen families to get together to celebrate and enjoy a delicious meal together.
Sheila B. Goodstein
Bergen-ASCS Elementary School Director