New Jersey HIB Definition
New Jersey’s Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights Act (ABR) is commonly referred to as the Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB) law. The purpose of the law was to strengthen the standards by which school districts prevent, report, investigate and respond to incidents of bullying.
It is the goal of the administration, faculty, staff and parents of iLearn Schools to provide a safe, secure and friendly educational environment for students. iLearn Schools has developed and implemented a School Climate Team, chaired by the Anti-Bullying Specialists, that provides leadership and direction to achieve this goal. The School Climate Team serves as a professional learning committee (PLC) to implement programs and procedures to have iLearn Schools in compliance with the rules and regulations of the New Jersey Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights.
Harassment, intimidation or bullying means any gesture, any written or physical act, or any electronic communication, whether it be a single incident or series of incidents, that:
- That is reasonably perceived as being motivated either by any actual or perceived characteristic, such as race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or a mental, physical, or sensory disability, or by any other distinguishing characteristic (ANY ONE DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTIC); and
- that takes place on school property, at any school sponsored function, on a school bus or off school grounds as provided for in N.J.S.A. 18A:37-15.3; and
- that substantially disrupts or interferes with the orderly operation of the school or the rights of the other students (SUBSTANTIAL DISRUPTION OR INTERFERENCE)
And that (ANY ONE OF THESE THREE EFFECTS):
- a reasonable person should know, under the circumstances, will have the effect of physically or emotionally harming a student or damaging the student’s property or placing a student in reasonable fear of physical or emotional harm to his person or damage to his property; or
- has the effect of insulting or demeaning any student or group of students; or
- creates a hostile educational environment for the student by interfering with a student’s education or by severely or pervasively causing physical or emotional harm to the student
43 Clifton Avenue
Clifton, NJ 07011
Bergen – ASCS Elementary
30 Madonna Place
Garfield, NJ 07026
Director: Sheila Goodstein
Anti-Bullying Specialist: Jerika Crane
Bergen – ASCS Middle
200 MacArthur Avenue
Garfield, NJ 07026
Director: Dawn Fantasia
Anti-Bullying Specialist: Nicole Spinelli
Bergen – ASCS High
43 Maple Avenue
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Director: Ufuk Zini
Anti-Bullying Specialist: Alyssa Montgomery
iLearn Schools Core Values
The purpose of the iLearn Schools core values is to promote positive student behavior(s) and build a positive school culture and climate. Positive behaviors and demonstrations of good character will be anchored and evaluated by the iLearn Schools’ core values: Honesty, Integrity, Respect, Community, Compassion, and Excellence. It has been stated by Steve Ellenwood, the director of Boston University’s Center for Character and Social Responsibility, that “teaching character education in schools is actually unavoidable … [E]verything the school chooses to do or not do in terms of curriculum choices” (qtd. in Barnwell, par. 13). The 2010 Josephson Report Card on the Ethics of American Youth reveals a dire need to integrate character education in public-school education.
To protect the social-emotional and moral health of students, iLearn Schools has proactively established core values, outlined below, to promote actions that are representative of productive, honest citizens from each of its students. It is believed that iLearn Schools core values will contribute to a confident, encouraging school culture where acts of good character are expected and recognized by all stakeholders.
Honesty – We tell the truth and admit wrongdoing. We are trustworthy and act with integrity.
Integrity – We exhibit integrity by doing what is right. We are role models for other students by carrying ourselves with dignity.
Respect – We show high regard for our teachers, our classmates and ourselves. We treat others as we would want to be treated. We understand that all people have value as human beings and we respect differences and embrace others’ perspectives.
Community – We demonstrate pride in our school. We offer assistance to our fellow classmates and teachers. We are a family.
Compassion – We are compassionate through both word and deed. We care deeply about others and respect differences of opinions. We are kind and show empathy towards our classmates and teachers.
Excellence – We strive for excellence by exemplifying positive leadership, responsibility and organization, and a consistent positive attitude.
HIB Report Form and Resources
All HIB Report Forms are available at Portal Website.