School has been in session for over five weeks now and things are going very well. The procedures and daily activities of your child’s classroom should be familiar and comfortable to them by this time in the school year. I would like to give a friendly reminder that our school day starts at 8am. It is important that your child be here so they can prepare for the day’s activities with their class during morning meeting.
I enjoyed the opportunity to meet with many of you at our recent Back to School Night. I know your children are more important than anything in your lives, and Back to School Night is an excellent opportunity for our families to see their child’s classroom and meet with their teachers.
I encourage you to please join our PTO if you haven’t already done so. Annual membership is $5. Your involvement is crucial in the success of the PTO.
October is filled with many important events. The first week of October is the Week of Respect. During this time, various activities and lessons have been designed around fighting bullying and having each child appreciate how they are unique and special. The second week of October is Violence Awareness Week. During this week students learn about conflict resolution techniques and methods for keeping our school safe from violence.
Students will be visiting the local firehouse on the 11th to learn valuable steps to take in the event of a fire.
As the cool weather approaches children will begin wearing sweaters and sweatshirts to school. Please make sure that your child follows our dress code. Sweaters and sweatshirts that are not part of the school uniform are not allowed to be worn in school.
Another friendly reminder regarding drop off and pick up:
- Cars cannot stop in front of the school. This road is closed for the safety of our students and staff
- Cars cannot double park so parents can bring students inside (if you wish to walk your child inside you must park your car in a legal parking sport)
- Cars cannot block residential driveways
Other Important Events:
- October 9th and 10th-NO SCHOOL
- October 11th– Title 1 Parent Meeting hosted by Bergen Middle 200 MacArthur Ave. Garfield
- October 18th-Grandparents Night hosted by Bergen Middle 200 MacArthur Ave. Garfield
- October 19th-Fall Picture Day-school uniform
- October 31st-Halloween costume contest and parade
I appreciate your cooperation and understanding and I look forward to another fantastic school year!
Sheila B. Goodstein
Bergen-ASCS Elementary School Director